Monday, January 6, 2014

Five Transfers

Salud, dinero, y amor,

Muerte.  Mi companero va morir manana.  Translation: Death.  My compadre goes to die banana.  Better translation: Elder Walker goes hometomorrow.  I will miss him.  I will be staying in Kearny for one more transfer, making me really old in Kearny English Walking!  I am both sad and happy, and I'm a Mormon.

Seriously, though, staying in Kearny is bittersweet.  Bitter because I don't get to see a new area, or even train a new missionary, but sweet since an investigator has been praying me here.  And it worked!

The first day we talked to him, we were at home, sick.  He called us and said, "Hello.  My name is John.  I'm an excommunicated member and want to change my life.  Here is my address and information.  Come over at 3."  It was a miracle.  Now, he is determined to be baptized and become clean from his past sins after years of selling and taking drugs.  Now, he has cut off all connections from his previous vendors and customers, comes to church, wants to bear his testimony in front of the congregation, and will be baptized hopefully on January 26.  He met with the missionaries before and doesn't like transfers and now I won't get transferred!

Before that, when we were sick, I was praying my guts out that we could do some type of work.  I just wanted to get out of the apartment.  I know now that God answers prayers.

On Monday, I was with Elder Barrio, mi paisano de la gran ciudad de Chihuahua, o estado.  Yo no sabo nada.  But I was with Elder Barrio since Elder Walker and all the other "dying" missionaries were visiting the Statue of Liberty.  We went to family home evening with Gramma Jackie and we played headbands, charades style.

Anyway, on Tuesday, we had a zone meeting.

Wednesday was crazy.  Elder Hendrickson from Eagle Mountain, Utah told us last-minute that he was going to inspect our gross apartment!  As we hurried to clean it/stuff everything in the closet, Carmine from Gramma Jackie's house called us and said that they needed blessings ASAP.  After the inspection, Elder Hendrickson went with us to give Gramma Jackie and her family priesthood blessings for comfort.

Here's what happened.  Early on New Years morning, a riffraff from Newark busted into their house with a gun and threatened to kill their baby if they don't pay up.  God protected them and the hoodrat left and was caught by the cops.  Everything went well, but old Gramma Jackie was traumatized.  As we gave them priesthood blessings, I remembered what God said, that He will spare the righteous.  An overwhelming feeling came over me and I knew that it was true, that things will work out, and that things do work out because things have worked out.

Thursday, Elder Walker and I were separated again as they went to the Manhattan Temple.  It snowed that night so they weren't able to make it back alive.  So they stayed at our apartment while I stayed at Elder Barrio's apartment.  There was a Nerf war before bed.

On Friday, we exchanged back and Saturday was fine.  We had said goodbye to everyone by Sunday and ate good chili at the Roas'.

On Monday, the 6th, we went to the North Arlington Library to email our families home.  I wrote:

Salud, dinero, y amor,

Muerte.  Mi companero va morir manana.  Translation: Death.  My compadre goes to die banana.  Better translation: Elder Walker goes hometomorrow.  I will miss him.  I will be staying in Kearny for one more transfer, making me really old in Kearny English Walking!  I am both sad and happy, and I'm a Mormon.

Seriously, though, staying in Kearny is bittersweet.  Bitter because I don't get to see a new area, or even train a new missionary, but sweet since an investigator has been praying me here.  And it worked!

The first day we talked to him, we were at home, sick.  He called us and said, "Hello.  My name is John.  I'm an excommunicated member and want to change my life.  Here is my address and information.  Come over at 3."  It was a miracle.  Now, he is determined to be baptized and become clean from his past sins after years of selling and taking drugs.  Now, he has cut off all connections from his previous vendors and customers, comes to church, wants to bear his testimony in front of the congregation, and will be baptized hopefully on January 26.  He met with the missionaries before and doesn't like transfers and now I won't get transferred!

Before that, when we were sick, I was praying my guts out that we could do some type of work.  I just wanted to get out of the apartment.  I know now that God answers prayers.

On Monday, I was with Elder Barrio, mi paisano de la gran ciudad de Chihuahua, o estado.  Yo no sabo nada.  But I was with Elder Barrio since Elder Walker and all the other "dying" missionaries were visiting the Statue of Liberty.  We went to family home evening with Gramma Jackie and we played headbands, charades style.

Anyway, on Tuesday, we had a zone meeting.

Wednesday was crazy.  Elder Hendrickson from Eagle Mountain, Utah told us last-minute that he was going to inspect our gross apartment!  As we hurried to clean it/stuff everything in the closet, Carmine from Gramma Jackie's house called us and said that they needed blessings ASAP.  After the inspection, Elder Hendrickson went with us to give Gramma Jackie and her family priesthood blessings for comfort.

Here's what happened.  Early on New Years morning, a riffraff from Newark busted into their house with a gun and threatened to kill their baby if they don't pay up.  God protected them and the hoodrat left and was caught by the cops.  Everything went well, but old Gramma Jackie was traumatized.  As we gave them priesthood blessings, I remembered what God said, that He will spare the righteous.  An overwhelming feeling came over me and I knew that it was true, that things will work out, and that things do work out because things have worked out.

Thursday, Elder Walker and I were separated again as they went to the Manhattan Temple.  It snowed that night so they weren't able to make it back alive.  So they stayed at our apartment while I stayed at Elder Barrio's apartment.  There was a Nerf war before bed.

On Friday, we exchanged back and Saturday was fine.  We had said goodbye to everyone by Sunday and ate good chili at the Roas'.

On Monday, the 6th, we went to the North Arlington Library to email our families home.  I hope everything is well at home!

Love,
Elder deJesus

No comments:

Post a Comment