Monday, July 29, 2013

Yo, yo, yo

July 17, 2013

It's been a week and it's our P-day.  We just finished putting our laundry in and we have an hour to write emails and use the comptuers.  By the dubs, these comptuers are disgusting.  The keyboards are like covered in some type of soda mucus and the keys keep sticking to my fingers so I can't spell comptuer right.

So far, learning in the MTC has been a blessing.  Everywhere we go, the Spirit awaits for us to receive Him.  I've learned so much about myself and my Savior that I didn't even imagine I would ever learn about.  One of my favorite things to learn about my Savior is from Elder Bednar.  He shared a story about a mom who was informed that three girls had recently been involved in an accident.  One of those girls had died and the other two seriously injured.  She immediately called Elder Bednar, who was showering at the time.  His wife picked up the phone and handed the phone to Elder Bednar.  The mom told Elder Bednar what had just happened, and asked him to go to the hospital and help identify the girls, to make sure that her daughter was still alive, and to administer blessings if needed.  He, of course, agreed.  As the conversation went on, he realized that the mom had been speaking in two phones, one over each ear.  On one phone was Elder Bednar, and on the other was a nurse from the emergency room where the girls were being brought.  At one point, Elder Bednar overheard the nurse say that the hospital had received positive ID.  The dead girl was the mom's daughter.  What was interesting was that the mom, whose daughter had died and took the effort to call an apostle from the shower, fell silent.  Then, against all expectations, she asked Elder Bednar to call the parents of the two other girls and let them know what had happened to their daughters.  Even more bizzare, at the funeral, a woman from the mom's Relief Society stormed into the viewing demanding the soup that the mom had promised her because her own son was suffering from a cold at home.  The mom fulfilled her promise and gave the woman's son the soup.

That story, to me, illustrates perfectly the attitude of the Savior in times of His greatest anguish.  He turned outward instead of inward when the devil tried to test His divinity when He fasted for forty days.  He healed a man's ear instead of healing Himself right after the painful, physically demanding act of love that He performed in Gethsemane with the knowledge that one of His followers had betrayed Him.  That is the type of person that I want to be and am working on becoming.

By the way, my comp, Elder Vanwagoner, and I have our first baptism.  Her name is Shirley and her son, Owen, is her entire world.  When we told her this story, she immediately asked, "What can I do to 'follow Jesus Christ' like it says in 2 Nephi?"  So we invited her to be baptized and the presence of the Spirit was prominent in the room.  My eyes got tired and they started sweating.  In contrast, one of our investigators has never allowed us into his house and the last time we were there, we ended up Bible-bashing.  Don't do that!!!  Learn to love your investigators!  They are on your side!  Satan is the real enemy!!!

Oh!  Last Sunday, my comp and I were called to be the new zone leaders.  It's cuz we just have that experience, ya know?  3 days of experience.

For people who plan on going on missions, "plan" by reading and praying about the truth of the Book of Mormon every day.  "Plan" by receiving a testimony of this Church.  It is a good church.  Also, read Preach My Gospel and the Missionary Handbook.  Memorize the purpose of a missionary (Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end), the First Vision in Joseph Smith-History, and the baptismal invitation.

Pictures will come later.  I have to go check my laundry.

Arielle, have people write and email me!  Send me their emails from Facebook.  And also write me.  You're like related to me.

Anyway, I'll tell you all about the other elders and sisters in my district.  They're hilarious.

Love you all!

Elder deJesus

No comments:

Post a Comment